Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Difference Between 4 and 9

My little man has surprised me yet again.  My once perfect sleeper has been waking up throughout the night.  I don't mean just fussing, needing the binky replaced, and then falling back asleep. No I mean legs kicking, smiling, cooing AWAKE.  At 4 am last night I heard my little one fussing over the alarm.  I slowly rose out of bed, and stumbled into the nursery to find my little man ready to play.  Despite my attempts to replace the binky and walk away, nothing worked. He would only cry LOUDER if I left him laying.  Therefore, I broke my rule, of not picking him up during the night unless something is wrong, and I PICKED HIM UP! Baby Wise kill me now!! Anway, I went to the glider, sat down, cuddled my little man with a blanket and began humming.  I believe I might have been humming myself to sleep at this point.  Finally, his eyes closed and he fell asleep.

I was for sure I would be able to go back to bed. I inched my way to his crib, put him down, and went to turn on the monitor. Then I hear WAAAAAHHHHH WAAAAHHHH. I looked, wide awake once more. I repeated the previous steps once more, they ended in WAAAHHH WAAAHHH as well. 

Oh little Caleb, what happened to my sleep till 9 am baby??? I did resort to baby wise this morning, and they said this can occur around 4 months.  They suggested going back to a 3-3 1/2 hour feeding schedule, because the baby may be hitting a growth spurt. According to their book, which has worked wonders for us, he should out grow this stage in about 2 weeks. Just in time to gear up for teething!

My little man has gone from this...

to this.....


Merry Christmas to me :)

On a side note, I have started a new blog.  This is a blog centered around my relationship with God, and what I am learning from him daily. It is a very personal blog, but one that I feel as though God can really work through.  I would love it if you would check it out....http://lightforacloudyday.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I totally remember that! We did BabyWise also and Charlotte did start waking in the middle of the night around 4 months. Not at 4 am, more like 6 or 6:30 (she normally gets up at 8). I think maybe within a week she was fine. I did feed her a couple times when she woke up around 5:30 or 6 and then pushed her next feeding until 8:30ish because I felt like if she was waking up it was a growth spurt and she needed more food. I kept the rest of the feedings during the day the same and just adding an early morning one if she was really hysterical. She definitely grew out of it and it didn't last very long! Good luck!

The Dorns said...

landon did this when he was small so we put a swing in our room. If he wakes up the middle of the night and nursing or binky wont soothe him back to sleep I get him out of the crib and bring him to our room and put him in the swing so I can go back to sleep. hes 7.5 months now and I have only used once in the last month all the rest he has slept just fine.