Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Goodbye Bro. Greg

This past weekend was also a very emotional weekend. My hometown church music minister is following the call to change locations. He has been around since I was 11, and our church family has grown very close to him over the years. When he first came to our church I was in my last year of elementary school, and I had an acting role in the first play he ever directed at First Baptist. Since that time Greg has helped with various youth group events, directed many plays I have been a part of, and has traveled with myself and the youth group all over America. One of my favorite trips with him was to Orlando, Florida. I think there were only a total of 10 students on that particular trip and we had soooo much fun. He is a very comical guy with a strong testimony of faith, and a broadway voice. My heart was broken when I heard he was leaving. I went to his final service on Sunday morning and cried the entire time. Every time he would begin singing I would start crying. He has had such an impact on my Christian life, and for that I am forever grateful. It is soo hard to let him move on, but I know that he is following God's call. He is moving to a church outside of Louisville, so I will actually be closer to him now. At the end of the service on Sunday everyone had a chance to say goodbye. We stood at the end of the line and made out way through. I was stopped by a former Sunday School teacher to chat and momentarily lost my spot. My grandmother made it up to Greg, and he asked her to tell me that he loved me and that he missed me. She smiled and said you can tell her she is right back there. He looked and screamed "MY Sarah". By the time I arrived at the front he was hugging on me, and telling me how much he loved me and was so thankful for the time he had to watch me grow up. We talked about the baby, and where he was moving. We hugged a few more times, said our goodbyes, and I promised I would come see him at his new church. I miss him already but I know that God has great plans for him, and I will always be thankful for the memories, and advice I have had and recieved from him over the years. I wish that I had some photos loaded on my computer of the past years with Bro Greg, but they are all in my hometown.

1 comment:

Brit said...

I know how you feel Sarah. Greg had such a huge impact on me growing up....so much that I wanted him to marry us. During the wedding we became even closer to him and his family and I am so sad that he is leaving. I couldn't bear to go on Sunday... I'm already am an emotional disaster! Home will NOT be the same anymore. =(

God knows what He is doing though... Greg will do great things wherever he goes!