Friday, August 21, 2009

A Milky Problem


Happy Friday all. I hope you have all had a wonderful week so far. We have enjoyed our second week of our baby boys life very much, and I can not believe how much he is already changing. He is soo stinking cute that I just smile sometimes. We have been working on sleeping this week, and some nights have been amazing, and some have still been a little challenging. His only for sure pattern as of now is that he is awake around 11-1ish, and after his 5 am bottle he sleeps until you wake him up to eat again. Therefore, the nights have not been too awful as of yet.

At 2 weeks he has been having two-three long wake times a day.
He has come so close to rolling over that it is ridiculous. He rolls to his side, but stops there. Two week old babies are not suppose to be able to do this haha. I have to keep my eye on him every time I lay him down.
He enjoys one binky, and will not take any other one.
Unfortunately a little newborn acne has appeared on his face. Anyone have any tips on how to get rid of it??
Most of his newborn clothes are actually fitting now. He weighs 7 lbs 1 ounce now
He is taking about 3 ounces per feeding...which brings me to my problem

My teets that have been leaking since 20 weeks, are beginning to dry up. After bringing Caleb home from the hospital I was able to pump 5-6 ounces every 3 hours. This was plenty to feed him, and have back up for the next feeding. However, since two or three days ago I can only pump 2 1/2-3 ounces if I am lucky. I have tried pumping more frequentely, eating more, drinking more water etc etc. I called a lactation consultant today and she told me to go to GNC and purchase an herb capsule. She says that will help. Did anyone else have this problem? If so what did you do? I really want to be able to continue breast feeding, but I am becoming discouraged.









5 comments:

Lea Liz said...

I have heard of taking teh herb capsule, go get it! Keep pumping and are you letting him nurse at all? That will help too Ive heard. I didn't have any problem tho.. I can't pump any extra now but I have plenty enough to nurse not sure how that works.

He is sooo cute!!

Abby said...

I would go get the capsule. I've heard good things about it, and will bring your supply back. Dont' give up! And contact your LC again if you have trouble. Mine was a Godsend and I wouldn't have made it through without her.

Caleb is darling!!!!

Brit said...

Sarah, are you still nursing him directly? Try the herb for sure. My milk ducts dried up super fast! You might be doing the same thing. If you can make it til' six weeks that's great. If not, then you are still a wonderful mommy. If you end up going with formula, then contact me and I can give you some great advice there.

lots of love said...

I had a different problem that caused me to have to stop nursing & the only advice I can give you is IF you have to stop nursing, dont take it as hard as I did! I felt like a failure when I had to stop because it was MY decision to nurse & I did not want to stop. It put me into post pardum depression a little, so I just hope you dont take it was hard as I did IF you have to stop. There's nothing wrong with not nursing your baby a long period of time. I also commend you for doing it as long as you have!

Carrie said...

Drink a beer once a day. It is an old wives tale and I did try it and it did work. The hopps (or something like that) is supposed to do something with something and it is supposed to increase the milk. Confused? Me too. You can google it and you will find out more about it. You can still give your baby the milk even though you've had the beer. That said, I quit after 6 weeks. Turned out he had acid reflux and my milk wasn't the problem...oh well...live and learn :)