What you are up to at six months.
- Sleeping: You are sleeping through the night once again with no problems. You generally fall asleep around 9:30 and wake up at 8:30 or 9. After a morning bottle you will stay up for around 30 minutes and go back to sleep for another 1-1 1/2 hours. You will take a 2 hour nap between 12-2, and sometimes another 2 hour nap around 4ish. You generally take 3-4 naps a day, and you will allow me to lay you down in your bed to self soothe yourself to sleep. You always coo and kick until you drift off. When you wake up you no longer cry you just coo and squeal, and then greet me with the biggest smile when I go to pick you up.
- Eating: Oh my little one, you still LOVE to eat. You have tried all the stage 1 baby foods and are eating only stage 2 now. The only food we have found that you do not like is the stage 1 meats. I don't blame you though because they smell like cat food. You still have to have a bottle first, and you take 5 bottles a day. You generally take 5 ounces of formula before breakfast (fruit and cereal). You then take 5 ounces before your dinner baby food (a veggie and sometimes veggie and fruit). You take 7 ounces in all of your other bottles. I was worried I was overfeeding you, but the doctor said you were just fine. You still take a night time cereal bottle. You love to eat your baby food, and often yell in between bites, or open your mouth with food still inside for another bite :).
- Size: You weigh 17 lbs 10 ounces ( a lot less than we thought). You are 26" long, and your head cir. is 44 cm. You are wearing 3-6 month, 6 month, and a few 6-9 month clothes. You little feet are still tiny and a lot of your socks are still to big for you. You head is getting to big for most of your winter hats. The doctor said your head was measuring a little above average, but that was perfectly fine. You are wearing size 3 diapers. I call them your big boy diapers because they are not the soft swaddlers, and the characters on them are no longer babies.
- Exciting New Things:
You can roll from your back to your belly now. You still have not quite figured out that you can roll to reach toys yet, but you are working on it.
You are talking a lot now. No words yet, but a lot of squeals, coos, ahhs etc.
You really notice sis and Bella now, and you laugh at them when they play. You also try to pet them and always pull Bella's hair.
You have really developed stranger anxiety at times. You know who your momma and dada are, and sometimes you do not want anyone else. This was clear at the doctor this morning. (You cried every time the doctor or nurse would touch you. Teary eyed screaming crying. I almost cried too).
You always pucker your lip at me now when you are scared or upset. It is cute but breaks my heart.
You sat up in your big boy bath seat for the first time last night. We decided you are not quite ready for that yet
You are working on learning to drink from a sippy. You have sucked water out of it a few times, but mostly you just chew.
(you decided to beat the monkey up this month)
You love toys now. You reach for them, grab at them, hit them etc. You can play for hours.
You still love your jumparoo, and you MAM binkys.
You still love to put everything in your mouth.
You play with your feet a lot. You always pull them up and down and squeal with excitement.
You rub your face into my chest when you get bashful. So cute.
You still love to be rocked and read to.
You were dedicated at church this month.
You sit up in the cart or in a highchair when we go out to dinner or go shopping. You love to play with your cart cover and smile at everyone.
You are still a mommas boy, but you smile so big when daddy comes home. You do this one little face that you only do with him. I call it your daddy face :).
Your personality is coming out. You are still so calm and carefree, but if you do not like something you will let us know. You scream a lot now if I move a toy away from you, change your clothes, or transition you from your boppy to your highchair to eat.
You like to roll to your side when I am changing your diaper or dressing you. It is a little more complicated now.
- You can sit all by yourself now, sometimes you still topple.
- You can hold your own bottle now through entire feedings.
In honor of your 1/2 birthday I found this poem and it made me cry.
Long ago you came to me,
a miracle of firsts,
First smiles and teeth and baby steps,
a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away
and leave to me your past
And I will be left thinking of
a lifetime of your lasts…
The last time that I held a bottle
to your baby lips
The last time that I lifted you
and held you on my hip.
The last night when you woke up crying,
needing to be walked,
When last you crawled up with your blanket,
wanting to be rocked.
The last time when you ran to me,
still small enough to hold.
The last time that you said you’d marry
me when you grew old.
Precious, simple moments and
bright flashes from your past-
Would I have held on longer if
I’d known they were your last?
Our last adventure to the park,
your final midday nap,
The last time when you wore your favorite
faded baseball cap.
Your last few hours of kindergarten,
those last few days of first grade,
Your last at bat in Little League,
last colored picture made.
I never said good-bye to all
your yesterdays long passed.
So what about tomorrow-
will I recognize your lasts?
The last time that you catch a frog
in that old backyard pond.
The last time that you run barefoot
across our fresh-cut lawn.
Silly, scattered images
will represent your past.
I keep on taking pictures,
never quite sure of your lasts…
The last time that I comb your hair
or stop a pillow fight.
The last time that I pray with you
and tuck you in at night.
The last time when we cuddle
with a book, just me and you
The last time you jump in our bed
and sleep between us two.
The last piano lesson,
last vacation to the lake.
Your last few weeks of middle school,
last soccer goal you make.
I look ahead and dream of days
that haven’t come to pass.
But as I do, I sometimes miss
today’s sweet, precious lasts…
The last time that I help you with
a math or spelling test.
The last time when I shout that yes,
your room is still a mess.
The last time that you need me for
a ride from here to there.
The last time that you spend the night
with your old tattered bear.
My life keeps moving faster,
stealing precious days that pass,
I want to hold on longer-
want to recognize your lasts…
The last time that you need my help
with details of a dance.
The last time that you ask me for
advice about romance.
The last time that you talk to me
about your hopes and dreams.
The last time that you wear a jersey
for your high school team.
I’ve watched you grow and barely noticed
seasons as they pass.
If I could freeze the hands of time,
I’d hold on to your lasts.
For come some bright fall morning,
you’ll be going far away.
College life will beckon
in a brilliant sort of way.
One last hug, one last good-bye,
one quick and hurried kiss.
One last time to understand
just how much you’ll be missed.
I’ll watch you leave and think how fast
our time together passed.
Let me hold on longer, God,
to every precious last.
Here is to every last, new adventure, and will be's in the future. I love you my baby!!