Tuesday, January 13, 2009

160-165 Beats Per Minute

Today was a very exiting day for Nick and I, and it was one that began very early this morning. I awoke at 5 am to get ready for my 8 am appointment because I was so excited/nervous/anxious. We arrived at the doctors office at 7:15 to fill out paper work, but to our surprise they did not unlock the doors until about 7:50. It was actually funny sitting in the truck, listening to a funny radio show and laughing with my husband. We do not usually get to have quality time like that in the morning and it put a smile on my face. Once inside the doctor we filled out the paper work and waited until 8:30 to go back. Once back, the nurse asked us various questions, performed examinations, and finally we got to try to hear the heartbeat. It was so funny because I was literally holding my breath when she placed the machine on my stomach. I wanted to be able to hear the heartbeat so bad. It probably took her a good minute to find it, but once she did Nick nor I could stop smiling. It was so amazing to actually realize that there really is a baby in there. According to old wives the baby should be a girl based on the heartbeat, but I still feel as though it is a boy. The doctor agreed with me, she stated that when she walked in the room and looked at me she thought that I was going to have a boy. We will just have to wait and see. My next appointment is February 10, and I can not wait.

This week the baby is 1 1/2 inches long (about the size of a prune). The bones and cartilage are forming, and small indentations on the legs are developing into knees and ankles. The elbows on the baby's arms are already working, and tiny buds of teeth are forming under the baby's gums. One funny fact if the baby is a boy he is already producing testosterone this week.

I am interested as to when I am going to begin "showing". I was surprised when they weighed me at the office this morning because I have actually lost one pound. I have not been sick throughout my first trimester, and trust me I have been eating a lot! It was so funny. I was working with two girls today who are both 13 weeks pregnant and they have little bumps. Hopefully mine will come soon. I am not going to lie I am actually quite excited about it.

No comments: