Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Paxton's Birth Story

Paxton David arrived on February 13th at 3:26 pm.  He weighed 7 lbs 4 ounces and was 20 inches with a head circum. of 13.5. 

Last belly pic at 38 weeks 3 days

The days leading up to Paxton's arrival were LONG LONG LONG for me. I dilated to a three by 37 weeks, and the doctor told me to expect a baby any day.  I kept having false labor in which I would contract for about 3 hours with contractions 3-5 minutes apart, but not increasing in intensity.  They would then just STOP!  To say that was frustrating would be the understatement of the century.  My very last doctor appointment before he arrived the doctor checked me and I was 4 centimeters.  She informed me that my bag of water was right there, and that if I had any more consistent contractions at all that she wanted me to head straight to the hospital.  At that appointment she also stripped my membranes and scheduled an induction for February 17th (my birthday), at 7 am. 

The night after that appointment I was woken up a few times by bad cramps.  The next morning I was bleeding and still crampy.  I took the kids to school, and decided to go walk the mall in an effort to get labor going.  I walked for hours, and then came home. While home I cleaned, played with the kids, rested, and cooked dinner. I had a feeling that it was the day, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.  That night Nick rubbed my "pressure points",  and we waited to see if my contractions became regular.  At around 12 am they were coming on every 3-5 minutes and lasting 45 seconds.  They were not extremely painful, but I called the on call doctor and he advised me to head to Labor and Delivery.  Nick called his mom, and we watched some shows while we waited for her to arrive. 

Once we arrived at Labor and Delivery they admitted us to triage to be monitored.  I was monitored for an hour and my contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes. Some were strong, some were not.  I did not change in dilation within that hour, but my doctor decided to keep me since I was already 4 centimeters and consistently contracting.  They then placed my IV and moved me to my room (the same room I was in with Kinlee).  Once I got into my room, Nick and I rested for a bit.  My contractions started to slow, so I decided I wanted to walk the hallways.  We walked for a while, and the contractions picked back up.  They were still consistent but not intense.  There were talks of possibly sending me home because it did not look like I was in active labor. I about lost it emotionally at this point. My dad was already on his way, we had been up all night, contractions were coming every 3-5 minutes, and the idea of being sent home to deal with that was too much.  My doctor came in to check me to make the final decision.  Thankfully she said I was a five and decided to break my water.  Breaking my water this time was so painful.  It felt like it took forever, and the pain was intense.  I don't know if she was stripping my membranes more as well, or what but it hurt.  After she broke my water, she asked that I  hold off for a bit on the epidural to let labor pick up.  Five minutes after she broke my water I got my first strong contraction, and then they came one after one after one, without much of a break.  I tried to be strong and hold out for the epidural but the pain was getting too intense.  I asked for the epi, and soon after they were there to place it.  The epidural this time was the same as the others. They went a little slower, since my blood pressure dropped so low when I received it with Kinlee.  My contractions were so strong during it and it was so hard to sit still.  Thankfully it quickly took effect, and it was smooth sailing pain wise from there.


The nurse checked me after the epi and I was a 6. I visited with friends and family who were in the room with me, all the while I was feeling intense pressure.  The nurse checked me about 1 hour later, when I informed her that the pressure was getting worse. I was a 10! She said she wanted to let the baby "labor down", and placed me in a seated position for about an hour.  It was then time to push.  The doctor arrived, and we began the pushing process. After a little bit of embarrassment, and four rounds of pushing Paxton arrived.  I remember looking down and seeing his head come out.  He had the cord around his neck, so they moved it, and then I gave my final push.  I once again felt that amazing emotion of seeing your child for the first time.  There is really no way to explain that feeling, but Intense Love!! Love at first sight!

He was not crying with ease, so they took him to clear his airways. I waited for the first big cry, and when it came I cried a little more.  I then talked to the doctor as she sewed me up, and waited for them to bring my baby back to me. I was so glad when they finally gave him to me to hold.  He looked just like his big brother, and it was such a sweet moment talking to him, and watching his little facial expressions.  I was head over hills in love with a little guy that I had just met.  He nursed for the first time like a champ.  I literally put him on my chest, and he latched perfectly the first time. 

The rest of the day we had some visitors, and I spent my time recovering, and feeding Paxton.  The first night he really had no interest in waking to eat, so we were all able to rest.  The next day I spent some time one on one with him while Nick went home to see the kids.  I had fun taking pictures of him! He passed his hearing test that day, and was also circumcised. It was then time to head home. Unforunately we had to head home in a snow storm, which made me a little nervous. I told Nick to make sure he drove slow!

Once we arrived home the bigs got to meet their little brother.  They are head over hills in love with him, and constantly ask to hold him or come up and kiss him. 


I am so thankful for this little guy who has stolen our hearts and completed our family. 

Oh and he is a clone of his daddy. Nick on the left, Paxton on the right.


No comments: