Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Paxton's First Week

The bigs are at preschool, and Paxton is still sleeping, so I thought I would go ahead and take advantage of the silence to record things that I want to remember.  Paxton will not officially be 1 week until tomorrow, but we have had a great first week at home.  We have spent most of our days relaxing, and snuggling our sweet boy.  Monday was my birthday, and my mother in law took the older kids so Nick and I could have a relaxing night.  Paxton did not sleep at all the night before, so I took a good nap, a bath, and then Nick and I ordered take out and watched a movie.  My husband was amazing that night and took care of Paxton, and even gave him a bottle of pumped milk so I could sleep. I woke up for his 6:30 feeding feeling like a new woman.

Tidbits I want to remember.....

Doctors Visit:  Paxton had his first doctors appointment on Monday.  We had to stop by Outpatient and have his billirubin checked.  Thankfully it was only a 9 and the doctor said that he believed we had to reason to fear it going up.  At his doctors appointment he weighed in at 6 lbs 15 ounces.  When we left the hospital he was 6 lbs 13 ounces.  We take him Monday for another weight check.  Everything looked great, and the doctor gave him a clean bill of health.

Sleeping:  He is such a little cuddle bug.  He loves to sleep in your arms, and Nick and I have really not put him down very much at all.  We take turns passing him back and forth.  We are trying to take in all the newborn snuggles we can get since he is our last baby.  (Emotionally I am still wrapping my head around that fact).  He started out hating his crib.  He does not like to lay flat at all, and as soon as we would lay him down he would wake up and cry.  He spent his first few nights in between Nick and I on the boppy.  I have a huge fear of SIDS, so that was not an ideal situation.  Last night I moved the boppy to the crib, and laid him on it to see if the breathing monitor would still pick up his movements if he was propped up.  It did, so he spent his first night in his crib, and actually slept great.  He is generally waking up every 3 hours at night, and then after his early morning feeding he sleeps about 4 hours.

Breastfeeding:  Breastfeeding is going great.  The entire process was so natural this time.  He knew what to do, I knew what to do, and there was no pressure or worry.  My nipples have cracked, so I have been working on getting those healed.  That part of breastfeeding sucks, but I know in a few weeks it will all be behind me.  Engorgement has almost leveled out, and I am starting to feel more comfortable.  He has not had any nipple confusion at all thank God.  I have had to use a nipple shield on my left breast due to cracked nipples, and he still nurses the right side without one. He took a bottle from Nick with zero issues, and likes his soothie pacifier.

He still has his umbilical cord stump, and his circumcision is healing great.

The Bigs:  The kids love him.  They love to hold him, kiss him, and put their finger in his hand for him to grab.  We have been trying to make sure we set aside special time for them so they do not feel jealous. Last night we colored a sheet for preschool, cuddled on the couch and watched a movie, and read books before bed.  Kinlee has been a little more whiney lately, but I think that is just a part of being three.

All in all our first week has been great. I am so blessed to have these three perfect, healthy children, and I have found myself continuously thanking God for the blessings in my life.


No comments: