Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Road to Becoming a Coupon Diva

I am still studying the art of couponing daily, and I am starting to score some really great deals.  It is definitely a lot to learn, and takes a little more money up front to begin your stock pile, but I can definitely see how this is going to save us tons of money in the future. 

I am truly treating this as my job.  Hubby works so hard making money for our family, and I feel as though it will be a great contribution on my part if I can learn to stretch every single dollar.  I am taking pride in this new job, and I feel as though I talk hubby's ear off with each super save I find. 

I am basically couponing at 2 stores right now, Kroger and Walgreens.  I have found some fabulous finds at both over the past couple of weeks.  Thanks to their fabulous deals we are now stock piled on tooth brushes, tooth paste, body wash, and shampoo/conditioner.  All in all I may have spent 8 dollars on those products total, and I will not have to buy any more for a few months.  That is unless I find a great deal!

Some of the best finds this week...

Kroger:
  • Dijorno Pizza and Wingz for 3.49
  • Sister  Schuberts Rolls .99 cents
  • 2 Packs of Jumbo Huggies Diapers for 3.49 a piece
  • 2 bottles of Wisk Detergent.  1 free + 2 dollars Catalina profit 2nd: 1.99 + 2 dollars catalina profit! (basically 2 for free)
  • Enough hamburger to last 10 meals, and it averaged to about 1 dollar per meal
Old Navy:
  • 50% off one regular priced item. I had 2 coupons, performed 2 transactions, and I got 2 pairs of shorts for the price of one!
Walgreens:
  • 2 packs of Pampers Swaddlers for 10 dollars total.
Mckinlee now has 180 diapers.  2 Pampers Swaddlers, and 2 Huggies.  I paid 17 dollars total for all four packs.

I was oh so excited about my diaper find.  I had to fight the mean Kroger lady when my ecoupon did not appear on my card.  We went back and forth for a minute and she called over her supervisor for help.  The supervisor acted like there was nothing she could do, but I pulled up the coupon on my Iphone, and showed her that it was loaded. She then called over the manager, and he was able to give me the 7 dollars profit we were going back and forth on.  I was bound and determined to get those diapers for 3.49

The thing you need to understand about me is that I am not a person to really fight for something. I am a roll with the punches, go along with the crowd, overly nice kind of person. However, that was a great deal, and I had put a lot of work into planning my transactions and making sure my coupons matched.  I was not about to let evil Kroger girl, who is always so rude to me, steal my find.  I secretly loved rubbing it in her face that the manager sided with me and allowed me to get my great deal. 

The truth is sometimes you have to stand up for your coupons to cashiers.  I make sure that I have each transaction added up, and that way I know what it should be priced in the end.  This allows me to know for sure that my coupons passed through correctly.  I knew automatically when my first transaction came up 7 dollars more than expected what was wrong and I was determined to fix it.  The funny thing was the cashier aka evil girl was trying to argue with me about my coupons, and she was so wrong.  I had a sheet printed out from southern savers that showed my deals in the form of a shopping list. She kept saying "This is not from the Kroger website".  I had to keep saying "I know it is just showing the deals".  The she said "Here where it says RP 5/15 that means it is expired".  I said "NO, that means you can find that coupon in the Red Plum insert of the 5/15 Sunday paper".  After I said that and the manager agreed with me she walked away.  Ughh......that girl really got under my skin.

All in all though last night was a good shopping trip.  I learned lessons, stood for the deals that I knew were correct, and walked out with 66 dollars in savings.  It can only get better from here, and I have a couple of items I still need to go purchase from Walgreens for free with my register rewards points. 

The world of couponing is grand and addictive. Now that I have started I do not believe I will ever stop. 
Photobucket

No comments: